Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2018 Writing Resolutions


Happy New Year, everyone! We hope this is the year you accomplish all your writing goals. Here at Inspiration for Writers, Inc., we’ve put our yearly writing-related New Year’s resolutions in writing so we’re accountable. 

I’ve always believed we’re more likely to do things if we tell other people we’re going to do them. (Like when you tell someone to remind you to do something later, you’re more likely to remember it yourself.) So in that spirit, we’re sharing our resolutions with you. 

Jessica Nelson: My writing-related New Year's Resolution is to write for fun this year. It seems like since I started college, all the writing I've done is assigned—even the creative work. Now that I've graduated, I'm going to make it a point to go back to my passion projects and work on them just because I love the stories and the characters, not because I expect anything to come from them or because I have a deadline.

Geoffrey Fuller: I resolve to finish the damn book. (If you’re wondering what “damn book” he refers to, Geoff is working on a book about the 1970 WVU co-ed murders. You can check out the podcast about the project at http://soundcloud.com/maredandkaren.) 

Sandy Tritt: I resolve to devote one hour a day to my personal writing. Maybe that doesn't seem like a lot, but it's much more than I've done for a long time. And, who knows? Once I put in that first hour, I may find another hour or two to add to it. We'll see. For now, I'm going to just promise the one hour.

Charlotte Firbank-King: I don’t make New Year resolutions because I’m so busy keeping promises to other people that I don’t have the wherewithal to keep promises to myself. Besides, I hate having to flick the little devil off my shoulder all the time as it whispers, “Epic fail!” However, I am going to learn the art of promoting on the internet and be more diligent about doing blogs, etc.

Stacy Tritt: I want to write more often, but I also want to work on writing more creatively again, instead of just journaling and writing for work. I resolve to write one poem or short story per month in the new year.

Rhonda Browning-White: 
• Read and study more novels. I've spent the last several years studying short stories, and I've just finished my short-story collection (about a week ago!), so I want to shift my focus to novels. 
• Finish my novel. See above. ;) 
• Submit my short-story collection for publication. This starts in a few weeks. 
• Write more blog entries. 
• Live life more creatively (and everything that means)!

What are your writing-related New Year’s resolutions? Let us know in the comments!

Wishing you all a happy, healthy, successful 2018 from the IFW Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment